Tuesday, May 10, 2011

30 Day Music Challenge: Day 12


Day 12: What song defines the 90's for you?

I'll start with the song this time, then do my best to defend it.



Here's how I figure it.  This song protests "The Troubles" in Northern Ireland which began in the 60's but pretty much wrapped up in the 90's.  The 90's also say the popularization of Grunge music with it's power chords and melancholy lyrics, which I think are well represented in this song.  I also wanted to showcase one of the few Irish bands to be popular in the US in the 90s.  I can only think of U2, The Corrs, The Cranberries, and Sinead O'Connor that fit that criteria.

The 90's also say the decline of the female rock vocalist.  There has been a shortage of them for the past 10 years, which is as depressing a fact as I can think of.

No comments:

Post a Comment