Thursday, May 12, 2011

30 Day Music Challenge: Day 14

Day 14: What was your first music purchase?

That one I remember well.  I had just started seventh grade and turned thirteen a few months before.  I had some birthday money left over that my mom said I could use to buy whatever cassette I wanted.  I don't remember what led me to choose this album.  I wasn't a fan of the band (yet) and don't remember hearing of them until I got the album.  Everybody I knew was snatching up Nirvana's Nevermind which had come out a few weeks before and I wanted to try something different.

Here's My favorite song from that album.


That's right.  Despite my sheltered Midwestern upbringing and all-around uncoolness during my adolescence, I was a fan of Pearl Jam before they hit the big time.

Fun Fact: Despite the general assumption that Pearl Jam rode Nirvana's coattails to success, Ten came out weeks before Nevermind, it just took longer to become popular in the mainstream.

2 comments:

  1. Ten flat out rocks. My first CD purchase was 'Joshua Tree' the year before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent album! I had this one too. Love it!

    ReplyDelete